Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Three Simple Words Completely Turned the Day Around

You may have noticed that I haven't blogged in several days. Well that's because I've been a bit "down in the dumps" with all this waiting and waiting and waiting. As I think about it I am being a little ungrateful. I have someone to cook my every meal, vacuum my floors, clean my bathroom, and do my laundry (even match my socks!). What do I have to be bummed about? Well I just am. The boys are asking more and more questions about home and getting antsier everyday cooped up in this hotel. We all miss our friends and family back home. Darin needs to get back to work. We are ready to get started with life as a family of 7! Yesterday we found out that the judge has to sign one more piece of paper which he will probably do sometime this week. Then we will be here two more days in order to get the boys' birth certificates and passports. Then we will be able to go to Bogota and stay for not more than a week. And finally we can go home. So what we do know is that we will not all be able to fly home together. BIG BUMMER!!

Then we got our hotel bill for the charges so far...BIG BUMMER!!

Then we were going to walk to a cheaper restaurant for dinner and found out that the students at the university nearby were protesting and the police were shooting tear gas all over the area. When we walked out of the hotel we immediately felt the effects of it because we were downwind. So we ended up eating at the hotel again.

When we tucked the boys in last night we let them watch the video of their good-bye party at the orphanage. They named all the kids and talked about what happened and at the end Darin gathered all the kids together and prayed for them (with the help of an interpreter). At the end of his prayer he simply said, "Thank you, Jesus." Our older son asked, "What's 'Thank you, Jesus'?" I told him in Spanish and then said, "Thank you Jesus for Chiquitines (the orphanage), Thank you Jesus for all the children, Thank you Jesus for you and your brother..." And he piped in and said, "Gracias Dios yo tengo mi familia." In English, "Thank you Jesus I have my family." That completely turned my day around. My son had reminded me that I was in a "funk" because I had taken my eyes off of Jesus and let them fall on my current circumstances.

No matter what is going on I can say,

"THANK YOU JESUS I HAVE MY FAMILY!"

And thank you, son, for reminding me:)

2 comments:

  1. that's a total bummer that you don't get to come home together.
    and what an amazing son you have. reading your blog turned my day around. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so humbling. We take so much for granted and we forget to give thanks where it belongs. I'm so blessed, but again, I forget to give thanks. I'm so greatful for all I have, but most important, I'm greatful for all of my family. Thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete